General Session Speakers
Monday, October 16
8:00 AM - 9:15 AM
Research impact: What we’ve learned in the past 50 years – and what we can do in the next 50
Julia Lane is a Professor in the Wagner School of Public Policy at New York University. She is also a Provostial Fellow in Innovation Analytics and a Professor in the Center for Urban Science and Policy.
Julia has worked as a Senior Fellow at the American Institutes for Research; Program Director of the Science of Science & Innovation Policy program at the National Science Foundation; Senior Vice President and Director, Economics Department at NORC/University of Chicago; Director of the Employment Dynamics Program at the Urban Institute; Senior Research Fellow at the US Census Bureau and Assistant, Associate and Full Professor at American University.
Among some of her accomplishments:
- CoFounder of the UMETRICS program, which has evolved into the Institute for Research on Innovation and Science (IRIS)
- Founder and developer of the STAR METRICS program, which has been highlighted nationally and internationally, including by Science and Nature.
- Developed and led NSF’s Science of Science & Innovation Policy program.
- Co-Chair NSTC’s Science of Science Policy interagency group.
- Initiated and founded the Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics Program at the U.S. Census Bureau. This program was the first large-scale linked employer-employee dataset in the United States, and has evolved into a permanent Census Bureau program.
- Created, developed and managed the NORC/University of Chicago data enclave. This provides a confidential, protected environment within which authorized researchers can access sensitive microdata remotely.
- Led the Economics Department at NORC at the University of Chicago; oversaw the implementation of some of the most visible social science surveys in the US.
She has organized over 40 national and international conferences, received several national awards, given keynote speeches all over the world and serves on a number of national and international advisory boards. A native of England who grew up in New Zealand, Julia has worked in a variety of countries, including Australia, Germany, Malaysia, Madagascar, Mexico, Morocco, Namibia, Sweden and Tunisia.
For Julia Lane's CV, please see here.
Wednesday, October 18
8:00 AM - 9:15 AM
Dr. Lara Boyd is a Neuroscientist and Physical Therapist at the University of British Columbia. She is a professor and has held a Canada Research Chair, a Michael Smith Foundation for Health Career Scientist award and been a Peter Wall Scholar. Dr. Boyd directs the Brain Behaviour Lab at the University of British Columbia. Her work is centered on answering the question of what limits, and what facilitates, neuroplasticity. Dr. Boyd also serves as the Health Research Advisor to the Vice President for Research and is the university’s delegate to the Canadians Institutes of Health Research.
For Lara Boyd's TEDx Talk, see here.