Senior Executive Institute
Senior Executive Institute: Strategic Research Management in a Changing Environment - SOLD OUT
October 14-15, 2017 | Vancouver, Canada
Program | Topics | Speakers | Schedule | Registration
How do institutions determine and evolve their research strategy? How do they implement it and monitor performance? Strategy development and delivery is both black art and hard grind. This two-day program will provide participants with the opportunity to develop an institution’s research strategy and the knock-on effect on other strategies (HR, infrastructure etc.) and develop an implementation plan for the growth of its research. The approach is hands-on where hard choices will have to be made.
How is the Program Structured?
The program is based around a case study of a university, supported by comprehensive institutional research performance data, infused with short topic presentations and with group working towards a facilitated feedback at the end. Whilst a university is used for the case, the principles will apply to other types of research organization where there is a range of activities. Participants will use the data set to develop a research strategy for this institution with attention given to practical implementation activities. The program will be facilitated by individuals bringing a range of dilemmas and different political and cultural insights.
Which Topics are Covered?
- Use of research performance data in objectively analyzing institutional research performance.
- Development of strategies to grow institutional research performance recognizing that “one size does not fit all”: different units will have different research capacity, requiring a range of strategies across the institution.
- The balance of fundamental, applied and strategic research with dissemination, translation and societal exploitation of the results of research.
- The purpose, development and use of partnerships, with both academic collaborators and user/customer organizations.
- How the Research Office can contribute to effective implementation of research strategies.
- The need for alignment of research strategies with overall institutional strategies, performance planning and monitoring and support mechanisms.
These topics will be incorporated into a series of key presentations, each with plenary discussion. Group work will draw on these areas of knowledge to resolve the issues faced by the case study institution.
Who are the Speakers?Don't miss this great opportunity to get first hand experience from our content experts:
- Dr. Ian Carter, Director of Research and Enterprise, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, United Kingdom
- Dr. Michael Owen, Dean of Education and former Vice President of Research,, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Canada
- Amy Sikalis, Director Research and Science, University of Utah, USA
- Joy Johnson, Vice-President, Research and International, Simon Fraser University, Canada
- Sandra M. Nordahl, CRA, Director, SR Contracting and Compliance, San Diego State University Research Foundation, USA
- Dr. Martin Kirk, Director ORS & SPARC, The University of British Columbia, Canada
- Dr. Michael Lauer, Deputy Director of the National Institutes of Health for Extramural Research, National Institutes of Health, USA
- Sanjeev Gill, National Industry Executive, Research IBM Canada
Who Should Attend?
Attendees are likely to be in leadership positions, or be realistically aspiring to such a position as their next move.
- Gain an Understanding of the elements essential in an effective research strategy.
- Receive Knowledge via exposure to a case study, on how to implement strategies to drive institutional research performance.
- Learn how to be an effective research manager as an important stakeholder in driving institutional research strategy.
How to find the Schedule-at-a-Glance?
To access the schedule-at-a-glance, please see here.
How to Register?You could choose and register online or per email, fax or mail.
|Senior Executive Institute*||Early Bird (deadline Sept. 7)||Pre-registration (Sept. 8 - 28)||Onsite (after Sept. 28)|
*The Senior Executive Institute will be held on Saturday and Sunday, October 14-15. Registration includes coffee breaks and lunch on both days, and dinner on Saturday, October 14. Registration does not include the full meeting registration nor SRAI membership.
Online Registration - SOLD OUT
(Pay by Credit Card Only)
- Choose "2017 Senior Executive Institute"
- Login with your primary email address or create an account as a visitor
- Follow the registration instructions and proceed to check out.
Email, Fax or Mail Registration
(Pay by Credit Card or Check)
Download Registration Form
- Please do not email, mail AND fax your registration form.
- EMAIL: email@example.com
- FAX: +1 (703) 741-0142
- MAIL: SRA International, 1560 Wilson Blvd., Suite 310, Arlington, VA 22209.
Checks must include participant name and completed registration form.
Written requests for registration refunds must be postmarked on or before September 22, 2017. Cancellations submitted on or before September 22, 2017, less $75 meeting cancellation fee and $25 cancellation fee per workshop. If you paid membership dues while registering, these will not be refunded; only the actual registration fees will be refunded less the cancellation fees. No refunds will be made after September 22, 2017. Refunds are not given for no-shows. Registration substitutions from the same institution are accepted; membership substitutions are NOT accepted. All fees will be reimbursed in the case of meeting cancellation.
We cannot process any advance registration forms without full payment. After the registration deadline, you may register and pay onsite. For onsite registration, payment must be made using an organization or personal check, or credit card. Invoices will NOT be issued. Purchase orders are NOT accepted. Registration substitutions from the same institution are accepted. All fees will be reimbursed in the case of meeting cancellation.
Consent to Use Photographic Images
Registration and attendance at, or participation in, SRA International meetings and other activities constitutes an agreement by the registrant to the use and distribution of the registrant or attendees' image or voice in photographs, videotapes, electronic reproductions and audiotapes of such events and activities by SRA International and other third parties.