**Due to COVID-19, SRAI Education and Professional Development Committee is approving the iSRA 2020 Virtual Annual Meeting online sessions and workshops to apply towards Certificates.
Certificate sessions and workshops are confirmed by SRAI Certificate Reviewers prior to the meeting. For more information on which sessions and workshops apply towards certificates, please view the Certificate Tracking Booklet.
About SRAI Certificate ProgramThe Society of Research Administrators International maintains 10 certificate programs encompassing every aspect of Research Administration – Hospitals, Universities, Nonprofits, and Commercial Institutions. SRA International’s certificate programs offer comprehensive training specific to today’s educational needs of research administrators.
- The curriculum for each program includes required workshop(s), four (4) to eight (8) required sessions and four (4) to six (6) elective sessions.
- Certificate program course credit is earned and awarded only if full SRAI membership is in effect at the time the course is taken. In other words, only full members may receive credit for taking certificate program workshops and sessions. Chapter members, non-members and those with lapsed membership will not receive educational credit for any certificate program sessions or workshops taken during this time.
- SRAI members have up to three years to complete the courses from a specific certificate program requirement, allowing you greater flexibility to manage time, travel and budget constraints.
The four (4) certificates that will be offered in full at the iSRA 2020 Virtual Annual Meeting are:
Two (2) workshops and eight (8) concurrent sessions (must take one (1) session within each of the five (5) required categories; three (3) elective sessions)
The comprehensive curriculum, developed by knowledgeable and successful leaders in the research administration, provides an overview and introduction to the communication and other necessary skills to lead research administration and management offices. Elements of the curriculum include personality and leadership assessments and sessions in conflict management, change, delegation, diversity communication skills, and using metrics to help with team effectiveness.” The required WS is WS14: Trailblazing Teambuilding: Techniques for Creating a Purpose-Driven Leadership Team.
One (1) workshop and eight (8) concurrent sessions (must take one (1) session within each of the six (6) required categories; two (2) elective sessions)
About Practice of Research Administration and Management (PRAM)
The Practice of Research Administration and Management (PRAM) certificate focuses on the supervision and organization of research activities from an organization management perspective. Core content for the certificate emphasizes leadership development, research administration staffing and management, research and faculty development, innovation and economic development, and integrity and stewardship. The required workshop for this certificate is WS16: A Hot Topic Case Study.
Deadline for Certificate Credit: November 30
The certificate is appropriate for research administrators who are generally at a Director or higher-level within an organization and who are involved in organization decision-making activities affecting the research enterprise.
A letter of support is required to obtain certificate credit for this workshop and complete the certificate. Apply here for the certificate.
Submit a letter of recommendation from your supervisor supporting your position within the organization and your participation in the workshop. Apply for the certificate.
The support letters will be evaluated by the PRAM Certificate Reviewers and individuals will be notified about their acceptance. Upon acceptance and completion of the program, SRAI will issue your Certificate. Application and acceptance are required for Certificate credit.
Letters of recommendation should identify the following:
- The individual’s title and role in the organization. If the individual does not hold a Director level title, an explanation of why the individual should participate in PRAM should be provided.
- How does this person participate in organizational decision-making activities affecting the research enterprise? These can be activities of a financial, infrastructure, or strategic nature. If the person interacts with senior-level organizational officials, cabinet, and/or board members, please explain how.
The "theory of everything" (TOE) is a hypothetical theory studied in theoretical physics that is intended to fully explain and link together all known physical phenomena. The Research Law certificate is similar to TOE in that it attempts to explain and link together all known issues of research administration. Legal issues arise throughout research, starting with intellectual property issues, continuing through contract and grant matters, and living on in post research licensing, "derivative works disputes," and post-clinical trial liability questions. The Research Law certificate is for both new research administrators who need a basic approach for recognizing the legal issues that they will face daily and for the more experienced administrator who works with general counsel and outside attorneys on a daily basis. Because there are so many legal issues in research, the curriculum is very broad and constantly changing to address new issues confronting scientists, research administrators and their attorneys. The required workshop for this certificate is WS9: Research Law.
One (1) workshop and five (5) concurrent sessions (must take one (1) session within each of the four (4) required categories; one (1) elective sessions from either category)
The tracking booklet allows members to easily record their progress.
- Download here the Certificate Tracking Booklet
To earn Certificate credit, download the tracking sheets for your Certificate, attend the sessions and workshops, then fill out the tracking sheets with your information and write “Fall 2020” in the space next to each session and workshop you complete. Once all coursework has been completed email your completed documentation to email@example.com to receive your certificate of completion. If you attended a workshop or session at a previous SRAI meeting, list the meeting on the line next to the course. SRAI staff will verify your attendance at previous meetings.